Friday, March 18, 2005

Beer

I apologise, I really do, I have been finding topics to write about! Stuff that excites me, that stimulates me! I have written about emotions and movies and actions and feelings and everything else that is more complex than a ball of intertwined thread dropped in super glue. The one thing that is so close to my hear, I totally overlooked.

I like to think of Beer as a pal I made somewhere in my Graduate School days at USC. I distinctly remember a USC vs Arizona State football game that I had gone to at the Colisseum (cause we had free tickets). There was beer everywhere. It tasted like crap (I thought at the time) but yet it was being guzzled almost like it would give men the power to become irresistible to women (or other men..whatever your preference). I did not understand that philosophy at all. How can people pay that much money to drink something that tasted so horrific and at the same time made you fatter and increased your trips to those make-shift excuses for toilets?

Then over the Summer of 2003 (doesn't have the same ring as Summer of '69...ahh 69...), I went to Chicago for an internship. There I had the distinct privilege of meeting a man by the name of Pratik, who opened my taste-buds to a whole new beer-a-lity! Although the stuff I drank with him, I wouldn't even use that to water my plants now (I have some grass and weeds growing in the backyard...wait...I don't have a backyard!) .

My taste in beer grew. I started liking stuff that was darker and darker! From the Urine coloured (and tasting) Millers, Buds and Coors' to the dark and flavourful Bass, Guiness and Gordon Biersch - my journey was complete.

Why people like beer is still a mystery. I for one feel that Beer is not alcohol at all. Ofcourse it has alcoholic content (and as Lord is my witness, the best highs that I have ever got have been because of Beer) but its still not a smash-me-out- tonight drink. Its a sip-n-slide drink. Its a lazy afternoon drink. Its a lunch-time drink...in Europe (in case my colleagues are reading!).

I don't know who discovered/made/brewed Beer for the first time, but whoever did May God Bless his/her Soul!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait until you enter the world of wine.

Aadil said...

Listen to the 'Hats off to Beer' number by Jim Nelson, if you havent.
Its like the beer anthem! :)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that in Germany they have a festival called the Octoberfest where people go to these huge gardens called "Beergartens" (I think) and guzzle beer? Needless to say the festival is in October every year.

Gaurav said...

Hey Monica

Not too much of a Wine Drinker ... maybe in a few months/years will be blogging abt wine as well ... must say that Sideways did make me wanna dive into the world of wine.

Gaurav said...

Date ... thanks .. will do the needful ... i totally agree with the title already :-)

Gaurav said...

ahhh ... Germany ...OctoberFest ... nice! might plan a trip sometime ... anything for beer and drunk women :-)

Maha said...

knock knock...are you in slumber? where are the new posts?

Gaurav said...

Hey Grafitti

Reveal your secret identity!