Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Modded Xbox

Microsoft did a good thing (for once) by getting the Xbox out. Its a pretty neat system for the price. Its a Celeron 733 Mhz with a 8 Gb HDD, 64 Mb RAM and a high-end NVidia Graphics card. The one thing that I don't think they accounted for (not well anyways) was the mod-chip.

Now this chip is a way to bypass the security mechanism built into the Xbox and the Xbox games. Microsoft has to put its 2048 bit key in every game for the Xbox to be able to read the disc. This is the exact mechanism that the modchip bypasses. "So what" you may ask. My dear fellow bloggers, this one chip is what will make life for all us gamers a much better place. Not only can you have this whole new, linux-based interface on the Xbox , but you can now use it as a DVD player without the frivolous Microsoft DVD kit. And, my personal favorite, you can use games which are ummm ... not exactly bought from stores! So there you go!

There is a whole army out there dedicated to ripping apart anything that Microsoft throws at its consumers. The Xbox is no exception. There was an article I read that Microsoft will throw consumers out of the Xbox Live network if they had modchips installed - even if they were using original games! Well, the modded X-Box Junta answer's that with setting up their own network where you can play with fellow modded Xboxes.

I think the Xbox and similar games, are transcendental. A female friend of mine likes to address us as "boys with toys". Well, I think its a little more than that! Its another reality. A domain of power and technology. A world of suprises! No Worry No Care! No Woman No Cry ... wait...thats Bob Marley!

Any more Xboxers out there?

4 comments:

appwiz said...

Goody goody - a geek blogger! I sorta remember you from SPCE, I wasn't allowed to stay in that school for too long though.

Been an Xboxer since it's release around Thanksgiving '01. Modding may be cool/outrageous/illegal, but Xbox Live! will kick you out with that kind of a box. Doesn't seem so bad unless you consider that you are giving up the opportunity to play with ~2 million Halo 2 combatants or access to hundreds of thousands of PGR2 ghosts.

But then, the Xboxes are so cheap that you could purchase a second box just for modding and set up whatever-Linux on it.

Very excited about the upcoming Xbox2...

Gaurav said...

Hey Rohan

Your name does ring a bell, but I can't somehow place you. Do you have a pic somewhere so I know who you really are. (I'm straight...need that pic only for placing-you-in-my-mind purposes)

I was thinking of getting another X-Box just for kicks but then I dropped the idea after I got a few ...ahem...tickets ... they're expensive! Maybe the government should have a "frequent ticketer program"! sigh!

appwiz said...

Find the pics on Friendster or Orkut. Mind, my visage has changed significantly from those SPCE days.

Frequent ticketer? Didn't know it was possible to speed on 101 - do the cops strangle people for going 31mph?

Gaurav said...

If only it were speeding!!! There are these frivolous cameras all over Fremont. Its almost like everytime I go there, I donate a few to the Fremont DMV.

If there is a brighter side to to my uncalled-for generous donations, well, its that none of them were speeding tickets!