Monday, February 07, 2005

Superbowl

Hmmm.. all non-football lovers, please forgive this post. Its just that when you're part of the American culture, I think its very difficult to distance yourself from this game. I know a few people who manage to do it, and for them Superbowl Sunday is the best day in the year to go out and get their chores done cause everyone is home cheering or jeering.

When I first came to this country, I was appalled when I saw the game. To the untrained eye, its just legalising unarmed violence! Its like a wrestling orgy if you may! But after the dust has settled (or in this case after the 300 lbs bodies have), it does look like there's a little more to it than Wham, Bam, F*** you man!

Its analogous to a game of chess in so many ways
1. The Quaterback is the King - he gets protected at the cost of the other guys around him
2. There are so many attacking and defensive plays.
3. The whole field is divided into Black and White, like in Chess. The difference is in football you have both colours on both sides.

One major difference is, I don't think the Grandmasters and the International Masters really get to...ummm..."mingle" with the Cheerleaders.

So it was the New England Patriots taking on the Philadelphia Eagles. The reigning champs against the underdogs. It was a lacklustre performance by the Eagles to say the least. They didn't live upto my expectations. I thought that there would be a sense of urgency in their game which they never really expressed. The Pats on the other hand, seemed like a team who had been there and done that. They weren't overwhelmed by the occassion and although they did make their fair share of mistakes, they managed to pull off a victory.

Terell Owens- fantastic commitment and dedication! I remember Chinar telling me that it was next to impossible to recover from such an injury in such a short time! Not only did he do it, he ran for upwards of a 100 yards! Creditable to say the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More than the game itself, I love the Ads that get released during Super Bowl. However, this year it was utterly disappointing. There weren't any frogs lip syncin to Wassuppp...But there sure was Alicia Keys lip syncing...but I guess thats not what I was looking forward to.

Kudos to Terell and Mcnabb. Both of them did shut their critics with their actions. But Brady still gets the A-list mention in my books. You should mention Brady's composure even after taking the field and playing on with a heart burdened by his Granny's death.

As any Blue fan would say -- Go Brady!!!

Gaurav said...

Ok ... its great that you posted, but I think it might be better if I had some clue as to who you are!!

Anyways keep the comments pouring in!