Friday, February 04, 2005

Taxation

Its that time of the year again, returns, gains, deductions...numbers, dollars, audits (hopefully none). Resident, Non-Resident, a million forms, hours of time and effort!

The worst part about being single and earning is that you come under the highest tax bracket. Which means you get nothing back from the Government. Well, pretty much nothing. So in a way they encourage you to have kids or dependents! Us Indians have never needed any such encouragement. We just oblige. We have kids with the hope that someday, something will get deducted. Not happened so far.

This is the first time I'll be filing my taxes on my own. That has a lil something to do with the fact that, well, before this I had zero income! A year and a half back, my choices were- "What do I buy next? I need to save $60 a fortnight so in a few months I can afford a digital camera." Saving- Never really cared to understand that word before. Now, I'm surrounded by people who talk about bonds, equities, stocks, 401K and retirement schemes. Something, somewhere went slighly astray!

From submissions, assignments and cafeteria jobs to releases, visa issues and retirement schemes, its been a swift transition and a good introduction to a Miss Reality.







1 comment:

chinar said...

hey, i filed my taxes a week ago and for the first time in 3 yrs have to pay liability :(

and its not a small amt either.